The General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC) is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.
Our members are united through local, district, state, and regional organizations. Members volunteer their time, talents, and resources to improve the quality of life through service to others. Members become responsible, dynamic leaders in their communities.
Founded in 1890, GFWC’s roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and in response, formed a woman’s club—Sorosis. In celebration of Sorosis’ 21st anniversary in 1889, Jane Croly invited women’s clubs throughout the United States to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Clubs by ratifying the GFWC constitution. The national was founded in April 1890, when 61 clubs from around the US convened in New York City and formed the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. GFWC has 100,000 members in 3,200 clubs in every state and several countries. Click here to learn more about the Federation.
GFWC of Missouri, Inc. was organized in 1896 and admitted to GFWC that year. Within Missouri, there are 9 Districts, 64 clubs, and 2 Statewide clubs which comprise over 1,270 members. Click here to visit the State website.
The GFWC Woman’s Club of Ste. Genevieve was organized in January 1949 and entered the General Federation of Woman’s Clubs and GFWC Missouri in February 1949.